Dad came up from Tennessee to work on the plane last weekend. We did a decent amount of work even though it didn’t look like it.
- inspected the recently arrived wing kit and associated gear
- We trimmed and cleaned up the shorter elevator rib in front of the trim tab.
- Test fit trim actuator
- cut access for the trim actuator to connect the elevator to the trim tab.
- Riveted the bottom of the elevator together leaving the center uncompleted per directions.
- Test fit the elevator to the horizontal stabilizer. Elevator operated smoothly.
- Layed out hinge and drilled holes in the elevator to attach the elevator to the horizontal stabilizer.
- Pops deburred the newly drilled holes and is ready for the next step
Thanks for the help pops!
Here are some pictures
Pops showing off his his riveting skills on the bottom of the elevator
Pops demonstrating the how the elevator works.
Pops deburring a rib for the elevator.
Delivery of the wing kit
On 9/17/2014 we received our wing kit for the plane. Cheryl and I inventoried the entire box, with only one minor part missing. A quick call to Zenith had the part in the mail and we received the part a few days later. I am excited to get started on the wings.
Again things have been running a bit slow, but progress has been made. I created ‘L’ pieces to attach 65T3-2 to 65T3-1 L&R. I miss measured the first time and had to remake them. 2nd time worked great. I set the center rib assembly into the skin and cleco’d assembly in place. looks like a good fit. Next will be disassembling the unit and deburring the skin and all of the ribs. I will reassemble it after that with cleco’s. Then on to the horn assembly.
Alignment marks for drilling.
Center Rib Test install
I cleaned up the shop today and stored the horizontal stabilizer until is needed. That cleared a lot of room on the work surface. I started the elevator today,
elevator inboard ribs
though I didn’t get a lot done on it I did get a pair of ribs deburred and marked the location of a couple of ‘L’ angels that will be attached soon. Keep tuned and you see the elevator take shape over the next 3 weeks or so.
Work continues… Slowly. I am wrapping up the Horizontal stabilizer… for now. I can’t do anymore more to the stabilizer until it is time to install it on the fuselage….. that will be a while. I know it looks like it might be missing something…. and you would be correct. It is missing the elevator which connects to the hinge on the back of the stabilizer. The elevator is next on the build schedule.
Here are a couple of pics of the stabilizer
My Wife Cheryl, My Dad and I have been slowly but surely working on completing the horizontal stabilizer. There are a few things I can’t do until later in the construction process by suggestion from the construction manual. I believe that building should accelerate now that school is done for a little while… and it’s above -10 deg outside. I should be riveting most of the top of the tab soon. Then its on to the elevator.
General Aviation Pilot Protection Act
This act would allow pilots of light aircraft not flying for hire to maintain their 3rd class medical with valid drivers licence. This would allow a lot of good pilots to continue to fly with a lot less expense and stress.
I have, as usual, been slow to update this site. Life is ever changing and in my case that means I have gone back to school for flight tech at Eastern Michigan University (EMU). I have not stopped this project, but has slowed it down some.
This last weekend we finished the skeleton of the horizontal stabilizer (pictures below). after much deburring, cutting, and some drilling the skeleton has come together nicely. It feels very solid now with all the rivets in it. Time to start on the skin.
I have been really impressed with how this is going together and the instructions. Cleaning and deburring get a little tedious, but is not difficult and the predrilled / matched drilled holes align well.
Me studying the prints
Cheryl Helping out
MIles & I riveting